Built initially by William Lever, known as Lord Leverhulme, as a residential area for employees at the Lever Brothers soap factory, Port Sunlight is a town that was created for a purpose rather than evolving in the more traditional manner, it was even named after the company's biggest seller: Sunlight Soap. Obviously the town was very much centred around the Lever factory, having been constructed purely for it's workers, and much of the surrounding area's success ran in tandem with the factory's. During World War 2 the factory became a target for German bombers because of it's production of Glycerine; essential in both soap- and bomb-making. Nowadays the factory is still a going concern, although the company behind it has grown beyond recognition and is now the pharmaceuticals giant Unilever. Lord Leverhulme also founded the Lady Lever Art Gallery in the 1920's in memory of his late wife. The gallery houses an extensive selection of 18th and 19th century paintings, period furniture and one of the country's largest collections of Wedgewood chinaware.