The small village of Lydiate lies in the Sefton borough of Merseyside, just north of the town of Maghull to which it is often associated. The village has enjoyed efficient transport links to the surrounding region ever since the construction of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal during the Industrial Revolution, which passes through Lydiate. The village is dominated by two buildings of note: the church of Our Lady of Lydiate and Lydiate Hall. The church was built in the mid-1800's by Jesuits who lived at Lydiate Hall, and the renowned Victorian poet and Jesuit priest, Gerard Manly Hopkins, was a one-time resident of the village. Lydiate Hall is now all but ruins, but was once the home of the chapel of St Katherine's, which was destroyed in the 1590's, and was the village's only church until the church of Our Lady was built.