Home > Greasby



Situated on the Wirral, Merseyside, the commuter town of Greasby has the illustrious honour of being the first settled community in the Merseyside area; in fact, artifacts such as stone tools found near Greasby date local habitation back to the Mesolithic era - around 7000 BC. Over the centuries the town has been occupied by Celts, Vikings, Angles and Saxons, but it was the Romans who left the most indellible mark; Roman weapons, jewellery and coins have been found on the site, and the routes of the original Roman roads are still being used for modern-day thoroughfares. When the Norman Conquest arrived in 1066 the town was given to Nigel de Burcey by William the Conqueror, but less than 30 years later it was handed over to the Church in whose hands it stayed until Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in the 16th century.